I wish more people understood what an achievement and how prestigious a Tony Award is. I wish they knew how extremely TALENTED and amazing all the actors are who step on a stage night after night to share the genius quality of their craft in a play or a musical and stand emotionally naked in front of hundreds of people and their various energies until the curtain drops.
The magic of theater is that there is only one take. One chance to get it right, one chance to deliver, one chance to captivate your audience and draw them into you, to fascinate them, excite them, or tear them apart and make them feel something. Everyone involved in a production works so hard, from the writers who conceived it to the actors who bring their words to life. So for me, THAT is when it is truly an honor to just be nominated for an award because you can look around you and go ‘Wow. Everybody here is a professional. Everybody here has sacrificed and bled and cried and has an undying passion for what they do.’
There’s just something special about being a true thespian, because broadway is where you have to have what ‘it’ takes. The quality of actors there is just incredible, so incredible that it can make an Oscar look like a 3rd grade Perfect Attendance award. Broadway is where the grown ups go to work with other grown ups and thrive in an environment where they are guaranteed a challenge and much respect.
Showing posts tagged with “theater”
Home: A Review.
i saw this a week ago and am just now getting around to reviewing because of school. but it was fantastic and has stuck with me so i should be able to word vomit properly.
- it was fantastic.
- full disclaimer: i went to see this for antonia thomas and her alone. i didn’t know the full plot, i didn’t recognize any of the other actors or know the playwright’s past work. i heard she was doing a play, read the tagline and i was in. that said, it was a really good decision because the story and acting were, again, fantastic.
- might as well start with antonia. why isn’t she in more things? i just find myself wanting to see more of her work everytime i see her in something new. i happened to pick a seat that was on the side of the stage where she did most of her down-stage scenes and i was definitely fangirling on the inside.
- the plot without giving away too much: home tells the story of a group of young people who live in a hostel. for those who don’t know (my american self didn’t), hostels aren’t only for travellers who want cheap, quick accommodation, they’re also classified in some countries as long-term housing for people who have no where else to go. the young people in home are traditionally “homeless” due to all kinds of circumstances and find themselves at the particular high rise where the play takes place. the cast of characters includes several residents (some cast members play between 1-3 different people throughout), two coordinators/authority figures in the hostel and a security guard.
- back to antonia: she plays 3 residents - girls from bangladesh, eritrea and london (i’m guessing west london which is where the hostel is located?). and i just need to take a moment to applaud her command of accents and mannerisms. it was mesmerizing to watch. also she has one of the best monologues of the show/one of the most heartbreaking i’ve ever seen.
- the rest below a cut because this is going to get spoilery and possibly long; i’m feeling emotive and i haven’t seen a show this creative in awhile. but if you’re in london GO SEE IT. ends april 30.
Lady Blue: Audra McDonald on portraying Billie Holiday
“This play takes place four months before Holiday passed away, so she was already very ill with cirrhosis of the liver and very much addicted to heroin and a raging alcoholic — there’s a lot going on. And she was lonely, lonely, lonely. So to be all those things and get up there and decide, I’m going to start baring my soul, with all that underneath, makes for a very colorful evening, a volatile one and an unpredictable one.”
Yale School of Drama: Lupita Nyong’o's theatrical production experiences - Part II
A n g e l C o u l b y i n ’ G o o d P e o p l e ’ r e h e a r s a l . [ 2 0 1 4 ]
#looks like she’s watching an ep of Merlin
casts i’m ridiculously excited about ; 'night, Mother
*this might not even become a thing, but just the chance of it being an actual thing has me ridiculously excited.
casts i’m ridiculously excited about ; a raisin in the sun
*at first - despite my excitement - i gave some side eye at this announcement since we just had the diddy/phylicia/audra/sanaa revival, then i realized that happened 10 whole years ago. bananas.